A mix of blended herbs and spices, great for meats and soups.
One of the most important parts of cooking is how you season your food. You can have an amazing dish prepared but having meat that is not properly seasoned can make a big difference to how your meal tastes.
For some people salt and pepper are more than enough but coming from where I come from (The Caribbean) we just think we need more than just those two things.
Let me introduce you to what we call Green Seasoning. Yes, it's green and we use it to season everything: chicken, fish, shrimp, in curry, soups, and stews and to flavor anything possible. Green seasoning is basically blended herbs and other spices.
|Washing leafy ingredients in water and vinegar|
|Herbs and Spices chopped|
|Herbs and spices in mixer|
This concoction is pretty easy. All you need are the herbs and a good blender or food processor. And an air tight bottle to store your seasoning. This time I will have to make sooner, because I usually get two bottles of seasoning and I gifted one bottle to my sister.
I use about 2 tablespoons of this in my meat to season before cooking.
How do you usually season your meat??
Caribbean Green Seasoning
A recipe for blended herbs with other aromatic spices that is used to season meats and other dishes.
prep time: 20 MINScook time: total time: 20 mins
- 1 bundle of shadon beni (if you cannot find this you can use cilantro/coriander)
- 4 stalks of celery
- A handful of parsley
- 4 heads of chive
- 1/2 lb of onions (Approx 3 medium sized onions)
- 2 heads of garlic
- 1/4 lb of ginger root
- 1 leaf of fat leaf thyme aka Spanish Thyme (if not use 6 small leaf thyme including stalks)
- 12 cloves
- 6 flavor peppers
- 1 hot pepper
- 2 cups water
- Chop everything up so that it can fit into your device.
- Put half in to blender and add 1 cup of water and blend
- Add other half of herbs and add water as needed (1/2 cup more)