My dad made this for us using shaddocks but it was much easier for me to find grapefruits here but technically you can use any citrus fruit.
I loved this snack. It is a mixture of fruit, sweet and bitter all in one. I know he continuously had to tell us, "don't eat anymore today" as my sister and I would go grab strips after strips.
You will need to have a little patience for this treat, but your ingredients are simple and more than likely already in your house:
- 3 grapefruits (washed and dried)
- 3 cups of sugar
- 1 cup water
- Grated ginger
We need to "gut" our grapefruits. I cut mine in half, then cut around the edges and use a spoon to dig out the pulp.
Then cut the them into thin strips. About 1/2 inch wide strips.
We then have to scald the rinds in water to remove the oils. Place strips in a large saucepan and cover with boiling water and let simmer for 5 minutes..
Pour water off and repeat this process four times using fresh water each time.
Drain peels. In the same saucepan add sugar, water and ginger and bring to boil. Lower temperature and simmer until sugar dissolves. Do not stir.
Add peel to sugar mixture and cover partially. Simmer for 1 hour. Peels would get tender and syrup will absorb (as much as possible)
While peels are in syrup, line a large pan with wax paper. Transfer peels to wax paper and separate.
When strips are cool, roll strips in remaining sugar. I used 1/2 cup of the 1 cup of sugar left back.
Place strips on clean waxed paper and leave to dry over night. And your final project will be a tart citrus skin with ha sweet taste.
I had to stop myself from eating these out during the process. I had a few strips that were wider than needed and I put those to the side to use when I'm baking a carrot cake later in the week.
Have you every made candy out of citrus?
- 3 large grapefruits (washed)
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbl spoons of grated ginger
- Cut fruit in half and scoop out pulp leaving white pith attached to peel
- Cut peel into 1/2" wide strips
- Put strips in large saucepan and cover with boiling water. Leave to simmer for 5 mins
- Drain strips and repeat this step 4 times to remove bitter oils from rind
- Drain, and remove peels
- Add 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water and grated ginger to the saucepan
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until sugar dissolves. Do not stir
- Add peel to syrup and partially cover pan. Simmer until syrup is absorbed and peels are tender
- While strips are simmering, line a large tray with wax paper
- Transfer hot peel to tray and separate strips
- When cooled, toss strips in remaining sugar
- Place in a single layer, on new wax paper and leave to dry overnight at room temperature
- Store in an airtight container
Total time: 1 hrs. 10 mins.
Tags: citrus, candy, snacks