I would like to start off saying that I was never a fan of Asparagus. Oh my goodness. I would literally not want to eat anything if that was on my plate, much less touching any of my other food. Did I dislike the taste? Impossible since I never ate it. Ha! The name and the look was enough to make me say it was NOT going to taste good.
Then I grew up!
I slowly incorporated it into my life as an adult. It wasn't an easy road but slowly I started eating more and more of it. In my quest to eat more vegetables in 2015 I happen to run into a recipe from Publix Apron that I insisted on trying.
If you are not familiar with Apron, this is an initiative by Publix supermarket where their own chefs create recipes using products readily available in the supermarket. These cards have recipes for dinner and dessert and are pretty easy to make.
So when I saw the Asparagus, Shiitake and Chicken recipe card in my local publix, I wanted to try it. Instead of doing chicken as they did here, I easily switched out to shrimp
|Main Ingredients for Asparagus, Shiitake and Shrimp|
I then mixed flour, honey, chicken broth, red chili peppers, soy sauce, garlic, and set it aside for later.
|Asparagus, Shiitake and Shrimp with Lime Rice|
This meal was very very good. The sauce has a nice sweet flavor that blends well with the asparagus and mushrooms. I think this can even be done sans meat honestly.
Give it a try and let me know.
Asparagus, Shiitake & Shrimp (A Publix Apron Recipe)
- 1 lb Asparagus
- 1 pack Shiitake Mushrooms
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 cup All purpose flour (2 tablespoons & 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup Unsalted chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp Red ginger flakes
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cup Sliced green onions
- Chop asparagus and mushrooms into bite sizes
- Mince Garlic
- Season Shrimp
- Take 2 tablespoons of flour and sprinkle over shrimp and coat.
- Whisk together honey, garlic, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, remaining flour and stock and set aside.
- Heat oil in cast iron pan then saute shrimp and set aside.
- Add asparagus, mushrooms and saute for 3 - 4 minutes. Mushrooms need to get tender.
- Add sauce mix, giving it a little whisk before adding to pot. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer until sauce starts to thicken (2- 3 minutes). Add shrimp and continue to simmer for another 2 minutes.
1. Prepare Rice as you normally would adding juice of one lime to the water when boiling.